Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What I've Been Listening to Lately...

I've been listening to a variety of different artists lately so I thought I'd make a post about it. We all have that one artist or artists we can't stop listening to during the summer months. Here is my list of favorites: 


1. Lianna La Havas

Lianna La Havas is an extremely talented British singer, musician, and songwriter. Not only is her voice soulful and soothing, but her lyrics are meaningful and heartfelt. I cannot stop listening to her debut album, "Is your Love big enough?"! Her sound is mystic, soulful, and unique, which adds greatness to her as an artist. Plus she is gorgeous and has a great sense of style.  Some of my favorite tracks of this album include; Elusive, Forget, Lost and Found, and Age. 











2. Jhene Aiko 

This rising R&B artist has caught my attention with her soothing, delicate voice and calming sound. Her EP, "Sail Out", is a collection of soulful songs with lyrics that originate from her own personal experiences. Jhene's voice has a soft edge to it that really gives personality to her songs and her music. I love the songs "The Worst", "Stay Ready"featuring Kendrick Lamar, "My mine", and so many more. She offers a different approach to R&B music that truly makes her stand out in the industry. 






3. Beyonce


So, like many others, I have been listening to Beyonce's newest album, the self-titled,BEYONCE. I liked that there was a mixture of personal tracks and tracks that you could really dance to. Some of my personal faves included, "Heaven", "Blue" (featuring her adorable daughter, Blue Ivy), "No Angel", "Haunted", "Pretty Hurts" and "Superpower" (featuring the amazingly talented Frank Ocean). In addition, I thought that it was pretty artistic of Beyonce to have a music videos to go along with her track list. 








4. Disclosure ft. Sam Smith 

The song "Latch" by Disclosure featuring Sam Smith has been my song of the summer. I love the energetic sound and how well Sam's soulful voice pairs along with. Not only is a great song to dance to, but it is a song that can be listened to when you just need a moment to release tension. I think the combination of Sam's soothing, soulful voice pairs nicely with the pounding energy Disclosure brings on the track. 



5. Childish Gambino 

I really enjoy listening to Childish Gambino's new album, "Because the Internet." His singing and rapping combination on most of the tracks give each song a personal flare. Some of my personal faves off of Glover's new album include the hit single, "3005", "world star", and "sweatpants." Also, there are some cool collaborations on this album, including "the worst guys" featuring Chance the Rapper and "pink toes" featuring the soothing songstress, Jhene Aiko. 






6. Vic Mensa 

I was scanning through the channels when I came upon Vic Mensa's "Down on my Luck" music video playing on 106 and Park.  I really liked the up-beat sound of the song plus Vic's great rhymes. Vic's latest EP is titled, INNAETAPE, and it is a unique combination of songs that express Vic's unique style of rapping. Some of my personal favorites of this tape include; "Hollywood LA" featuring Neo Soul songstress, Lili K, "Lovely Day", "Magic" featuring my new favorite voice, Jesse Boykins III, and "Orange Soda."

 






Watch "Down on my Luck" here......


7. SZA 

SZA, the stunning beauty,  is a rising voice in the R&B world after the attention her single, "Teen Spirit" gave her. I absolutely love the edge that her smooth, full voice has and the personality that it gives to her songs. Not only is her sound new and edgy, but her lyrics display her true personality and true being. I also really enjoy listening to SZA's tracks,  "Ice Moons", "Castles", and "Julia" off her recent album, Z. 












Well, that's what I have been listening to lately. Find your zen. 


-Faith 

No comments:

Post a Comment